Author: Reni Eddo-Lodge
Reasons to read:
- To gain more evidence-based guidance on what can be done to support anti-racism.
- To understand the significant links between race and class.
- The book is based on a blog post, written by the author, which went viral.
- Black males (there is barely any research into the life chances of black females) face inevitable barriers at almost every significant milestone in their education and careers.
- In order to dismantle racist systems we must see race. We must identify who is disadvantaged by their race and who power is bestowed upon.
- Colour blindness is an immature and tokenistic suppression of people colour articulating the racism they are subjected to.
- White privilege means that if you are white, your race will almost certainly put your life on a positive trajectory. It doesn’t mean that life isn’t hard or elude to white people living a life of luxury.
- Race and class are undeniably intertwined. It is not possible to address one without addressing the other.